The mission of the Barrington Area Tennis Association (BATA) is to promote the development of tennis as a means of healthful recreation and physical fitness for all Barrington residents. Founded in 2012, BATA is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation and is part of the USTA network of CTAs (Community Tennis Associations). BATA cooperates and partners with other organizations and the various municipalities in the Barrington area in pursuit of its goals.
• Conduct programs such as lessons, leagues, social mixers and tournaments for all age groups and citizens to provide opportunities for recreation, fitness, self-discipline, sportsmanship, teamwork and socialization;
• Build community through tennis introducing the game to more players and providing more playing opportunities for existing tennis enthusiasts;
• Establish a competitive junior development/feeder program for the High School teams;
• Provide advisory consultation service to public officials charged with the development of facilities and tennis activities;
• Conduct continual fundraising and partnerships with local businesses to provide low cost recreation, assist with court maintenance and provide capital for future tennis facilities.
• Introduced Barrington elementary schools to the 10 & Under tennis schools program. In cooperation with the USTA, BATA trained elementary P.E. teachers on implementing a tennis unit into their curriculum resulting in District 220 purchasing tennis equipment for all elementary schools. Five schools currently conduct a tennis unit as part of the physical education curriculum;
• Developed a middle school match play program for boys and girls. Currently, more than 50 kids aged 11-14 participate in this weekly event that provides a much needed recreational and social outlet for our Station, Prairie & St. Anne students. Middle schoolers meet every Friday evening September thru March for two hours of indoor tennis followed by pizza social;
• Created competitive co-ed USTA Junior Team Tennis teams that compete against area clubs as part of the North Shore Park District League and the West Suburban League. These teams are made up of 6th-8th grade students whose goals are to compete on the varsity teams at BHS;
• Assisted Barrington Hills Park District in a full re-surfacing project for the six courts on the property of Countryside School in August of 2017. Secured a USTA grant for 10-and-under blended lines included in the renovation.
• Organized a tennis program for the Boys & Girls Club of Dundee Township chapter at Sunny Hill School teaching 4th & 5th graders tennis skills and games.
• Since May 2016, provide the youth tennis programming for the Inverness Park District.
2015 USTA/Chicago District Organization of the Year
BATA is run by a part-time executive director and a volunteer board of directors made up of members of the local community who share a passion for tennis and donate their time to increase awareness of the benefits of playing the game.
DONATE or VOLUNTEER
If you have an interest in helping BATA or becoming a member of one of our committees, we would welcome your assistance. If you are interested in making a monetary donation to assist with the purchase of equipment for our youth programs, administration of the organization or scholarships for 10-and-under lessons, please contact Mary Beth Bowman at marybeth@BarringtonTennis.com.